version 0.8.3 |
all versions |
Warning: Work in progress! Leave feedback on Zulip or Github if you'd like
this doc to be updated.
The Oil project aims to transform Unix shell into a better programming
language. It's our upgrade path from bash.
- Why Use Oil? This document is on the home page.
- INSTALL. How do I install Oil? This text file is also in the
OSH is a Compatible Shell
Oil is a New Shell Language
The shell command language has been enhanced:
Commands are made of words:
Oil has a new expression language:
- Options. Parsing and runtime options turn OSH into Oil.
- Future: Error Handling
- JSON: Currently supported only in the Python prototype of Oil.
- QSN: Quoted String Notation. A human- and machine-readable
format for byte strings.
- QTSV: An extension of TSV, built on top of QSN.
- Unicode. Oil supports and prefers UTF-8.
Generated on Fri Oct 23 00:21:10 PDT 2020