all versions |
Warning: Work in progress! Leave feedback on Zulip or Github if you'd like
this doc to be updated.
A Tour of the Oil Project
There are many components.
The OSH Language is Compatible
The Oil Language is New
The Shell Runtime
Builtins are the "Standard Library"
Both shell builtins and functions.
Oil has less of this. The philosophy is to push more things outside, e.g. into
The Interactive Shell, and "Headless Mode"
- Simple bash-like experience
- Defer most stuff to outside
mycpp and "Tea": Speeding Up the Executable Spec
This is under the hood, but important to understand.
Making the project faster.
- Small runtime with garbage collector
Documentation (and the blog)
This is a big part of the project
Different kinds of docs:
- This doc
- Why Use Oil?
- A Tour of the Oil Language
- Oil and OSH Help Topics (reference)
- Release Index: docs that are done
- Documentation Index
- Command, Word, Expression, Runtime, Interchange Formats, etc.
- Language design docs, dev docs
Generated on Sun Jul 24 00:29:42 EDT 2022