all versions |
This is the home page for version 0.8.pre3 of Oil, a Unix shell. To use it,
- Download a source tarball.
- Build and install it, as described in INSTALL.
These steps take 30 to 60 seconds on most machines. After that, you can
oshrc file, which is described in the
Test results, metrics, and benchmarks are shown below.
oil-native is a preview release, not a working shell.
Oil has three major sources of docs:
- The Doc Overview links to all other docs, including the Manual
and Oil Language Reference. It's work in progress. Up-to-date docs
- Online Help (incomplete). This document underlies the
help builtin. It links to sections in the Help page.
- Github Wiki for oilshell/oil
- The Oil Deployments
wiki page has other ways of getting Oil. These versions may not be
- Lines of source, counted in different ways:
- osh-cloc. OSH and common
libraries, as measured by the cloc tool.
- src. The whole Oil repo organized by
type of source file.
- oil-cpp. The C++ code in the
- OPy. How much code is in the OPy
- Lines of dependencies:
- pydeps. Oil code plus the Python
- nativedeps. Oil code plus A
slice of CPython.
- Bytecode Metrics
- OVM / CPython
- overview - An analysis of GCC's
compilation of OVM (a subset of CPython). Bloaty provides the
- cpython-defs/overview - We try to
ship as little of CPython as possible, and this is what's left.
oil-native. The future of Oil is pure native code.
Main Test Suites
The OPy compiler is used to compile Oil to bytecode, but isn't itself part of
- [ ] Test build and install on OS X
These files may help you understand how Oil is implemented, i.e. with
domain-specific languages and code generation.
- _devbuild/gen/id.h. A list of language
elements, used in the lexer and in multiple parsers and evaluators.
- The regex-based lexer uses two stages of code generation:
- frontend/syntax.asdl. The syntax tree
for OSH and Oil.
- oil_lang/grammar.pgen2. The
expression grammar for Oil. In contrast, the OSH parsers are hand-written.
Also see the oilshell/oil repository.
Generated on Mon Mar 23 14:42:04 PDT 2020