blog | oilshell.org
In the first blog retrospective, written in November, I organized blog posts into five themes:
Here are the entries I've written since, also organized by theme:
I validated the Oil language design by Translating Shell to Oil. Part Two goes into more detail.
The requirement to automatically translate shell to Oil will have a large effect on the language design. I've come to view that as a good thing.
I plan at least two more posts in this series, but they'll have to wait until after the initial OSH release.
(a) Zephyr ASDL. It took me about two months to replace the core of the interpreter with ASDL, so it was one of the biggest topics.
(b) Other Implementation Techniques
Implementing Oil has shed light on a few language design issues. Though I only wrote about one tradeoff, I have many more notes.
Writing these status updates helps me organize the project. In chronological order:
These entries enumerate topics I wanted to address, but didn't have the time to. If you're interested in a particular topic, feel free to leave a comment.
I put the blog into Twitter mode in order to concentrate on coding. After the OSH 0.1 release, I should have time to write more substantive posts.